At El Nan, we can not agree more with the article that Clara had published a few days ago “With earth in the hands” about the benefits of offering children wooden toys. They are natural, durable toys that encourage the imagination of children and a whole lot more!
So we want to share with you all the 8 reasons of weight that will surely help you decide to offer children these types of toys:
1. Weight and presence: Wooden toys are not as light as other toys made of plastic, for example. They are, therefore, toys with a greater presence and weight. The children must hold them with consciousness and firmness, stimulating at the same time the motor skills of their hands.
2. Stimulate the sense of touch: wooden toys, especially if they are not lacquered, provide a very pleasant feeling when we touch them. Also, not all wooden toys are heard in the same way. There are some more polished finishes, others that notice the irregularities of wood, others that are smoother … all this offers sensations that the brain of children is recording, almost without realizing ‘ n, while they play.
3. They fancy the imagination: Wooden toys are generally much less worked than those of plastic and usually do not incorporate lights or sounds. It is the child who has to imagine all that he wants the toy to do, nothing is given or done. Also, being less structured, they are more versatile.
4. Reduce consumerism. Plastic toys are often more fragile, they break more easily (especially the cheapest ones), which is why they need to be replaced soon by new toys. On the contrary, wooden toys may be a bit more expensive and surely we will buy less, but they will be of higher quality and this is essential to not enter the wheel of buying, using and throwing quickly.
5. Ages better and are intergenerational. Wooden toys, far from breaking or becoming ugly with time, age fantastically. And in case they break … they can be more easily arranged than plastic toys. They can be passed from one generation to another so that the toy remains just as beautiful and functional.
6. Accompany the child during the different stages of its growth. Wooden toys, being less structured, tend to be more timeless and rarely a toy of these characteristics looks very childish or very adult.
7. They allow you to save money. Yes! Although they are more expensive, they are also of higher quality and the same toy can last several generations. And that, of course, means financial savings!
8. Connect with nature. Wood is a natural material that responds to the biological expectations that children have at birth. Our brain hopes to touch the mother’s skin and natural materials (trees, stones, land …). On the other hand, using materials that come directly from nature helps children to better understand the relationship between nature and the production of everyday objects. With the wood of the trees you can make toys, kitchen spoons, furniture, etc. Explaining the child from where plastic toys are sold is undoubtedly more complicated 🙂